Thursday, November 4, 2010

Do ebooks change the rules?

In this age of information saturation, it's easy to hit overload and stay there for a weeks on end. I know. I've been there a few times, and yet I still browse for articles pertinent to the art and craft of writing. Some days, like today, I do consider deleting all my Google alerts, but that's a blog for a different day.

If you follow the link below, you'll find a good article on how ebooks are changing the publishing world. I doubt that's news to anyone who reads author blogs. What struck me in this article was what it put into words something I believed to be true, but never articulated - the Kindle reader is so successful because it's a simple device with a singular function that it does well.

The article also touches on a few unpleasant truths. Piracy abounds in the ebook world, stealing a decent living from the serious writer. And (my opinion)if the serious writer needs to work a day job to support herself, it becomes difficult to find the time to write. Everyone loses when that happenes.

Anyway, it's a good article with food for thought and is worth the read.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/e-books-rewrite-the-rules-of-engagement/story-e6frg6zo-1225942072478

No comments: