Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q is for Quetzal

April 20, 2011
A to Z Blogging Challenge
Day 17 - Q




Did I fool you on this one? Blogging for “Q” is not easy. Yeah, yeah, I know. I could have gone with queer (as in the unusual) or Queen (long may the music reign, Freddie), but that was too easy. I just shluffed off three days on promo for Netting Neptune, Open Roads, and Passion’s Victory. I had to come up with something special for Q.

The quetzal is a bird that lives in Central America. I guess it needs the beautiful colored feathers to make up for a less than pretty face. I knew about this bird and its importance to Mayan and Aztec cultures (being a National Geographic devotee), but who knew I’d ever use it as blog fodder? Not me, that’s for sure. But this is one of the more interesting aspects of writing – the pieces of information that become useful.

Curiousity about the obscure is something I hope I never lose. This little blue sphere we live on is full of magic and mystery. Imagine life one-hundred years ago, a time when virtually all of us would never know about the huge cave found in an Asian jungle, or Easter Island, or the Nazca Lines. I’ll never be an expert on any of it, but I’m happily curious about it all.

The more serious writer would probably scoff at the time I waste clicking here and there about the Internet, wasting time on things like looking at pictures of a weird little bird. Heaven only knows what sort of infractions I’ve heaped on my own head by blogging about it, but I don’t really care. I don’t think it’s time wasted.

I don’t think it matters that I’ll never write a story about a quetzal. Just knowing it’s out there, that it’s been out there in some stage of evolution for thousands of years, brings a sense of wonder into my life. And we could all use a little more of that.

KC Kendricks
Visit my website at: http://www.kckendricks.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
Join my mailing list at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/betweenthekeys
Read my personal blog: http://www.kckendricks.blogspot.com

No comments: