Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vino & Violets

April 26, 2011
A to Z Blogging Challenge
Day 22 - V



We're in the home stretch of the A to Z Blogging Challenge month. The days have has flown past. Presenting a blog every day has not been a chore, although I would never say there have not been a few challenging moments. It's taken a great deal of time - enjoyable time - and that's fine. As we near the finish line, I'm pleased I will cross it.

I'm not sure what made me think of Vino and Violets for today. Perhaps a more logical choice would have been to promo the Victory series, but out of memory came the following poem. I'm sure my tenth grade English teacher would be surprised if I could tell her the six weeks of poetry she shoved at us weren't entirely wasted.

Reading the poem again led straight to The Days of Wine and Roses, so I've included those lyrics as well.

I'll leave you to your own interpretation of the poem. Like art in the eye of the beholder, what it means to you is the important thing.



"Vitae Summa Brevis"

They are not long,
the weeping and the laughter,
Love and desire and hate:
I think they have no
portion in us after
We pass the gate.
They are not long,
the days of wine and roses:
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while,
then closes Within a dream.
–Ernest Dowson (1867-1900)

* * * *

The Days of Wine and Roses

The days of wine and roses laugh
and run away like a child at play
Through a meadow land
toward a closing door
A door marked "nevermore"
that wasn't there before

The lonely night discloses
just a passing breeze filled with memories
Of the golden smile that introduced me to
The days of wine and roses and you

The lonely night discloses just
a passing breeze filled with memories
Of the golden smile that introduced me to
The days of wine and roses and you.
_Johnny Mercer


KC Kendricks
My home on the web- Between the Keys: http://kckendricks.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks
facebook.com/kckendricks
My country life at Holly Tree Manor

No comments: