Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day? Oops!

February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day! As a writer of romance, I feel compelled, yes compelled, to write a V-Day blog.

I was going to google for the origins of Valentine's Day, but then I got lazy. Anyone can do that so I decided to share the day's place in my life.

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Oh, we exchange cheapie dollar store cards which honestly are just as nice, if not nicer, than expensive Hallmark cards. We've been together twenty-plus years so we've said it all and seen it all with each other.

Some years he's given me a tiny box of chocolate that is shared in a fifty-fifty split. Two or three pieces each. No bigee but a nice thought. Some years we've shared the preparation of a "fancy" dinner, but through most of the years Valentine's Day proves to be no big deal.

It's not that we don't like giving and receiving romantic gestures because we do. We just don't need a special day for them. We don't need to be told that today is the day to remember to tell each other "I love you." As a child of the 60's and 70's, I know some things need to be spontaneous and organic.

This morning I walked into the kitchen and spied a red envelope on the island. Instead of saying "how nice," I muttered "oh crap." (Well, words to that effect.) My card for him was at my office, ten miles away. It snowed yesterday and I didn't go to work so the card was still at my workplace. Oh, OOPS! Talk about poor planning and this from a person who lectures on organization.

When I got to work I snapped a few pictures of the card with my cellphone and sent them to him. Best I can do until I get home this evening and hand him the real thing. He thought it was creative and funny, and he appreciated that I'd taken a few minutes out of my morning to do it for him.

And so it goes, Valentine's Day 2014. No bells. No whistles. No credit card bills to pay off. Not even an "I love you." Just a heartfelt thanks for still caring through all the years.

It feels pretty darn good.

KC
website
twitter
blog

No comments: