Sunday, March 23, 2014

Quiet Sunday Morning

March 23, 2014


Spring has arrived and I've learned something very important - I'm not as young as I used to be! Okay, I'm not that old, either, but yesterday drove home the fact this winter just past was hard in more ways than one. 

I'm blessed to have a beautiful little corner of the world to care for but with that blessing comes work. Yard work. Yesterday was the first day we could comfortably get outside and begin the season-long task of keeping our yard neat and tidy. It was time to pick up sticks. After, of course, I checked out the crocus. It's finally blooming. 

We were fortunate to make it through the winter without major tree damage. We had good rain last summer so I guess that the trees sucked up enough moisture and weren't quite as brittle as in years past. One large branch which had died several years ago did finally fall to ground, but other than that, we had only small stuff to gather and toss in the burn ring. My partner and I both enjoyed being out in the sun but wished for a less breezy day. We'll have to burn the brush pile some other day, preferably a drizzly one. 

The trouble hit this morning when I rolled out of bed. I'm stiff in places I've never been stiff before and this will not do. I've contemplated taking a basic yoga class and now may be the time. Or at the very least I should stream in a basic routine on my HDX tablet and stretch more. My work ethic won't suffer that much if I take time to stretch every day. And maybe it could stand to suffer since my work ethic is why I'm stiff this morning. Too much computer time and not enough me time. 

Thankfully, I've been moving around this morning and the muscle stiffness has worked out. My dear old dog is still limping a bit and I'll be more careful the next time we work in the yard that he doesn't follow us so closely. Winter has taken a toll on him, too. 

I'm into my second cup of coffee and the quiet of the house is fading. My partner is awake. I hear him groaning. I bet he's stiff, too. I should be kind and not mention to him he's getting older and I know how hard the yard work is on him. I should sympathize with him. I should do a lot of things but I'm not going to confess I was stiff and sore this morning. 

Truth is, it's too good of an opportunity to pass. As soon as he has his coffee and is safely ensconced in his recliner, I'm going to pounce and remind him he's not as young as he used to be. 

KC

No comments: