Wednesday, November 26, 2014

First snow of the season - it's cold in a lot of new places

November 26, 2014

The day before Thanksgiving is not a day my corner of the world gets snow. Yet this year, we've been gifted with the white stuff. Being the day before the holiday, I'd planned to close the office at noon to avoid any problems on the road due to traffic. With the snow falling, I sent everyone home at eleven o'clock and quickly followed them out the door. 

Now, I can admit here at Between the Keys I had some ulterior motives in leaving even earlier than planned. The edits came in for Ace, Deuce, Trey and the editor was a little passive-aggressive in spots. By that I mean she wanted the edit back as quickly as possible then did her level best to send me off on several irrelevant tangents. 

Does the reader really want a technical explanation of the workings of our private investigators's sidearm? Talk about impeding the flow of the story. It's sufficient to know our PI knows how to safely handle all his weapons. Pun intended.

Does the reader really want a dissertation on how a home security system works? Seriously? What value would it add to the story? Go Google if you require paragraph after paragraph of information. That's what a jewel thief would do. What romance reader really enjoys is when the action is pulled off the primary character(s)? 

On a happier note, my beloved decided that a snow day was a good day for chili. He loaded the Crock-Pot with burger, chipolte tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and some seasonings I wasn't made privy to before they were added. I think he's been reading recipe websites again. 

My contribution to the meal will be opening a box of cornbread mix and getting the prepared batter in the oven. 

I think chili and cornbread will be a perfect supper for a snowy day. 

KC

No comments: