Monday, June 29, 2015

"...not what I expected."

June 29, 2015


I'm a five-time survivor of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. No mean feat, that, let me tell you. It takes a lot of planning (and even more planning) to organize a month's worth of posts in alphabetical order and get them out on time. It's a huge investment in time, something I always seem to lack. The old adage of "write something every day" predates blogging but the advice still holds true. The A to Z cuts into my real writing time. 

While comments overall seemed to be down this year, I received one I want to share. It's attached to Z is for Zen, which of course is the last post of the month. 

"I must admit after the warning about the content on the way into your blog, your posts where such a relief! I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting but it was a lot worse than romance novels! I really enjoyed your posts. I enjoyed reading a little about what your books are about but I loved the fact you also included other things so it didn't feel like it was just an ad for your books. Congratulations on finishing the challenge. Zen was the perfect end to it!"

This comment really made my day in a big way. I'm glad Between the Keys is not what she expected! To be candid, it's never been quite what I expected, either. I started the blog for promotional purposes but it's morphed into so much more. 

Another writing adage says today's writer must interact with the reader. Love to! I work forty-five hours a week. I have a household to run. My husband is disabled by nerve damage caused by chemotherapy. I write. Now, just what do I let slide to accomplish this interaction? Answer: nothing. And so I blog. 

It's a simple comment but it says a lot. It says I connected to someone. And that makes all the effort of maintaining Between the Keys, of taking time out to blog, to do the work to participate in the A to Z - it makes it all worth it. 

So go say something nice on someone's blog today. You may never know the exact manner in which it will happen, but rest assured, you will touch someone's life. 

KC Kendricks
www.kckendricks.com

No comments: