Friday, July 3, 2015

A Fine Foggy Morning

July 3, 2015

It's a fine foggy morning in my corner of the world. Being the start of a four-day weekend, I'm not surprised. To make the best use of the weather, we're setting fire to a brush pile later this morning. Mother Nature provides no shortage of tree limbs for our little fires. It's up to us to burn wisely, that being when the ground is damp and there's no wind to speak of. 

The ground here is most certainly damp. This June just past has been quite the rainy season. The annuals in my big pots have loved it, but notice the pool in the background? I've been in the pool exactly THREE times. 

Yes, yes, I'm well aware the average temperature in my location for June hovers around 72F. I know this because of local meteorologists keeping records for over a century. (http://i4weather.net/climate.html#TEMPERATURE). Anyway, with all the talk of global warming, I expected better pool temps. Apparently I'm not the only one who's wrong on that. Ten years ago the average temperature for June in my neck of the woods was 73.4F. This year, with global warming, it was 72.6F. I should have gotten a pool thirty years ago and saved the planet. 

Yes, my sarcasm is showing and that usually happens only at the day job. My apologies. 

To remedy the cool-and-not-in-a-good-way pool temps, we've purchased a solar heating mat. Cost about $25 at that big online monster we all have a love/hate relationship with. My plan for the morning was to hop out of bed and install that puppy asap in hopes of the water in the pool warming to a nice 88F by this afternoon. 

But it's a fine foggy morning here. I think I've time to take a cup of coffee to the patio and enjoy the quiet first. Fire and water can wait. 

KC
www.kckendricks.com

No comments: