Wednesday, December 2, 2015

“Step into Christmas with me…”

December 2, 2015

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group

“…so hop aboard the turntable and step into Christmas with me!”

That’s my nod to Sir Elton John. It’s a line from my fave Christmas song from 1973, Step Into Christmas. It plays as well today as it did forty-two years ago. Happy. Upbeat. Downright freakin’ cheerful. Just like the holiday season…

Every year the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are like the BLACK HOLE THAT KILLS WRITING. Maybe it only attacks me, but I suspect it sucks in many, many, many writers.

Forward progress - halted.
Momentum - blasted to hell.
Productivity - squashed like a bug.

I try to enjoy the holidays but the fact that I’m not writing bothers the hell outta me. I’m busy at work and at home. The only thing I can do to work around the holidays is plan for the slowdown and plan for writing time. And once I have a bit of time blocked out on my calendar for WRITING, woe be on the head of anyone foolish enough to interrupt me.

It might sound strange I’ve had to resort to serious threats and tantrums just to write, but I use whatever means necessary to get the job done. Whatever means. What. Ever. Means.

There’s nothing insecure about it.

So Merry Christmas to you - and don’t bother me between six a.m. and noon on December 5, 12, 19, and 26, 2015. I’ll be writing.

KC Kendricks
http://www.twitter.com/kckendricks


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Do your best to set aside a little time to write. Don't want you taking any of Santa's elves hostage!

KC Kendricks said...

If one of the elves can proofread, then I have noooo problem taking a hostage. I'll even feed it.

shelly said...

Happy Christmas anyway! Do what you can.

Christiane France - Author said...

Whenever I make plans like that you can be sure something will interfere. And if nothing does, then my mind will probably be a complete blank.

KC Kendricks said...

I made the plans and I figure if nothing else I can hide in my study and have a peaceful morning. So it's win/win either way it goes. The spousal unit knows when to practice self-preservation.