Monday, April 18, 2016

O is for Opportunity Missed

Day 15
April 18, 2016

Welcome to the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge! This is the SIXTH year I’ve participated in the challenge. Thanks for stopping by Between the Keys as we kick-off the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge. 

*_*_*_*_*

The missed opportunity. Oh, how we think it’s the end of the world! We moan and groan and decry our stupidity. We start whining with the very unproductive, “if only I had…”

Have you ever stopped to think that as you sit bemoaning your bad luck, you’re missing yet another opportunity?

Let’s step back from the edge of the cliff.

Most missed opportunities do not signal the end of life as we know it. One of my early failings was to realize every opportunity I heard about was not right for me. I wasted a lot of time feeling paralyzed because I’d missed a promo op, or a deadline to get in on a special publisher promotional. It was definitely counter-productive.

It's simply impossible to take advantage of every opportunity out there. Even with the most splendid of time management skills there is no way to hit everything. It's probably a lot more important to maximize what opportunities you can, especially on the Internet. Building lasting opportunities on the web is definitely doable from a wiki to a blog. Those things are static - always available. 

So seize every opportunity carefully. Sometimes it's better to pass and get some writing done. If I take the time to look at the missed opportunity from different angles, I often discover it’s still an opportunity for me to learn something about myself. And that’s a miss I’ll accept every time.

 KC Kendricks
www.twitter.com/kckendricks

1 comment:

djinnia said...

I've done that,but I go on with the next thing. I'm not much of a regret type person. Live in the moment and let it all go is my motto.