Wednesday, December 7, 2016

IWSG - Silver Bells

December 7, 2016

The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well 
understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation. 
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States of America

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group


Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
ring- a- ling, hear them ring,
soon it will be Christmas day.

Christmas is for many the most wonderful time of the year. All the lights, the sparkle, the music (old and new), the hustle and bustle of shopping. All the glitter can be visually pleasing if, that is, I don't think about how the time I have for myself gets squeezed down to minutes a week. I understand it, but I don’t always like it much. 

Time was, I tried to force everything into a day. The old adage is “write something every day.” That really doesn’t work for me, but oh, I did try. I thought I was the queen of multi-tasking. It didn’t work and I gave up on the idea of extreme multi-tasking. I don’t have to work, take care of my partner, parents, friends, and write every day. Do I compartmentalize my life? Yes, I do. Is that a good thing? Perhaps not, but it keeps me sane.

With the Christmas season upon us, I know it’s time to concentrate on family and friends. Some of those friends are other writers and readers so I don’t totally abandon the Internet to be with family, but I do deliberately divide out my time.

When I first deliberately didn’t write, it was mentally difficult. I’d made plans with a friend to go Christmas shopping for the day. It started to snow so we cut our day short. I suddenly had time to write. The thing was, I was tired. I flopped in front of the television. And that’s when the guilt started to pick at me. I was wasting precious time, and for what? Television? The tv was a waste, and so was beating myself up over it. 

Long story short, I overcame the guilty feelings and continued to relax. It occurred to me a rested writer is a productive writer. 

And you know what? The sky didn’t fall and I learned this lesson - I don’t have to cram multiple activities into one short day, especially at this busy time of the year. There really is time for me to try to enjoy the holiday season and that’s what I plan to do.

I plan to be deliberate with seeing family and friends. I’ve planned time for baking cookies, decorating, a little shopping, and yes, a little writing - just not all at once. With any luck, by the time Epiphany rolls around, my house and life will be all squared away for the New Year, all without driving myself crazy.

And you know what? Come January, I can jump back into my regular routine of attending to the business of writing every day renewed and ready to kick 2017's ass. 
- - - -

To all the participants of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group - A very merry Christmas and holiday season! May your traditions bring you comfort and joy.

KC Kendricks


3 comments:

Juneta key said...

Sometimes you just need to take time for yourself, especially when it falls in your lap like that,

Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Diane Burton said...

You are right about a rest writer. We have to take time to enjoy life, enjoy our family and friends. When the g'kiddies come over, I drop everything. That's precious time for me. I might have a twinge of guilty when I don't write and read or watch a movie but not for long. Best wishes.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are a wise author!