Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Daylily time, anticipation time

July 11, 2017

This is the time of the year when the daylilies are in full bloom.  If I had to pick my favorite of all the summer flowers, it would be the daylily.  I don’t know how many thousands of hybrids have been developed and I don't want to know.  I don't have money to buy all of them.  I tend to get a new one every few years and that suffices.

I've been working on a new story set in Marionville and it feels wonderful to anticipate its completion, even if that's a few weeks away. I've been so focused on republishing my backlist and caring for my mother and her husband, time to write every day has vanished. 

I know. If you're a writer you say I can find the time. Sure, I can - if I want to fall down the rabbit hole of writing crap because I'm not taking care of myself. 

Anyway, now that the mercury is finally predicted to top 90F, I'm more than happy to hole up in my office and just write. While I'm eager to complete this book, I'm also anticipating another new story, one that blindsided me. And I'm so so so happy it did! My muse had been uncomfortably silent, I suspect resting while I dealt with crisis after crisis, none of which were of my making. That it seems to be waking is both a relief and a joy. 

Will it ever return to the level of 2009 through 2011? All I can do is enjoy the feeling of anticipation. 

KC Kendricks


No comments: