Wednesday, November 3, 2010

An affirmation of the prolific writer

November 3, 2010

I read an interesting article on prolific authors today. I think why it struck a chord with me is because of a post on a review site several months ago in which the owner of the review site and another author criticized a particular unnamed author for being a prolific writer. In the course of their conversation, it was admitted they'd discused this author, in depth, privately. I'm still deeply affected by having read such cruelty.

When I read the article by Philip Womack today and learned that Barbara Cartland had penned 722 books in the course of her career, I was a bit gaga. That's a lot of books. The article states that comes out to about a book every 40 days. What it didn't tell me was how in the heck to channel that ability.

The link to the article is below. No matter where you are in your writing career, you owe it to yourself to read it, especially the last paragraph with it's affirmation of the prolific writer. For it's affirmation we need to hear from other writers, our brothers and sisters in arms. Who else knows the pieces of self we pour into each work? And who else can wound - or heal - us with mere words?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8080503/Being-a-prolific-author-isnt-a-bad-thing.html

No comments: