Thursday, October 4, 2012

Georgia on my mind

October 4, 2012


It’s been many years since my partner and I vacationed – together. His health suffered more than a few blows in the last decade, and leaving home wasn’t something he felt strong enough to do. I took off with girlfriends from time-to-time to save my sanity while he stayed home and held the fort. These days he’s in a good place so here we are in Savannah, Georgia, to visit his son. I’ve already learned a few things.

One: I need some new toys. My old dinosaur laptop is great for writing prose on the patio, but not for much of anything else, like Google Earth.

Two: Savannah sucks for cell signal. I can’t go anywhere around home and LOSE signal and I can’t go anywhere down here and FIND one.

Three: I hate the glare on the screen of my digital camera and phone. Whose “better idea” was it to go from a viewfinder window with NO GLARE to this set up? Someone fixed something that wasn’t broken and Kodak bought into it. No wonder they’ve had difficulties. Surely I can find a digital camera with a screen I can see in any light and at any angle.

Four: Never, ever, never leave home without a stick of Tide-on-the-Go!! Some of us can manage to spill [fill in the blank] all over ourselves. Welcome to the club!

Five: Speed limits are made to be exceeded. I’m in NASCAR country. I don’t really have to explain this one, do I? (No, but I will. I didn’t get a ticket. I did the speed limit and got passed by everyone on the highway. It was embarrassing.) 

Six: I really need to get a Kindle Fire so my honey can have my trusty Kindle2. He needs his own toys. 

But all whining aside, and tongue out of cheek, the trip’s been good so far. Our hotel room is nice, the historic district of Savannah is fascinating and beautiful, and the family is healthy and happy. It’s good to see them face-to-face instead of on facebook.

Tomorrow, while the family is at work and school, we’re going to visit the waterfront and be tourists. I’m looking forward to lunch at the Irish pub and taking my partner’s credit card for a walk. I might even buy him a T-shirt. Maybe we can even find a spot where I can get a cell signal and call home to check on the folks.

And I plan to take lots of inspiration photos for new stories. I’ve got ideas and I can’t wait to get back to work. Good thing I have the dinosaur with me. 

KC

No comments: