Thursday, February 25, 2016

Mother Nature is having way too much fun this week

February 25, 2016

I’m anxious to be outside. Looking out my office window I see many small branches that have fallen from the trees in nature’s annual winter pruning. We’ll gather them up for a nice, warm bonfire some chilly Saturday morning. It may sound like hard work, but it’s not. I enjoy caring for this small piece of our planet I’ve been blessed with.

Aside from anticipating yard work, I’ve been grumbling and mumbling about the February weather. Or at least I was until yesterday evening. February has been dull and dreary, for the most part. Cold, too. Yesterday morning I woke to a coating of ice on my windshield. By afternoon, we had a rainstorm complete with lightning (but I never heard any thunder).

But while Mother Nature often uses February to keep us mortals in line, sometimes she can relent and give us a glimpse of what lies ahead. After the deluge yesterday, a beautiful double rainbow appeared. I was driving and couldn’t get a photo, so I snagged one off the internet to share here. 

Even without a personal photo, I’ll remember this rainbow, and the promise of spring given to us at the close of a very wet and chilly February day. 

No comments: