Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for (the) Back Stairs

Day 2
April 2, 2016

Thanks for stopping by Between the Keys as we kick-off the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge! This is the SIXTH year (yes - 6th!) I’ve participated in the challenge. It may appear on the surface I’m a glutton for punishment, the truth is the A to Z is a lot of fun.

Today is also Saturday, so that means it’s time for the MySexy Saturday Blog Hop. Luckily, I have a “B” title, so it works out pretty well. Be sure to check out the My Sexy Saturday blogs at the link at the end of this blog.

To explain a bit, the A to Z Blogging Challenge takes place in April. Bloggers follow the alphabet, A to Z, every day except Sundays. So it’s twenty-six blogs in twenty-six days. The My Sexy Saturday Blog Hop brings the reader seven sexy words, sentences, or paragraphs from one of the author’s books.

Now on to B is for The Back Stairs and seven sexy paragraphs. This is an exchange between the detective, Fallon, and the shapeshifter, Sundown. 

*_*_*_*

His fingers grazed mine, the gentle touch heating my blood.

“I knew you were a good man. I trust you, Fallon. Will you trust me?”

“I trust you to be nothing but trouble.”

A wide grin split his face. “You’ll see how right you are, but not today. Today is for you to climb the last steps and come inside.” The smile faded. “I have things to share with you, if you will trust me.”

I had to give it one last-ditch effort to move away from him. “That’s very cryptic. I don’t enjoy playing games, Sundown.”

“Nor do I. Perhaps my truth is best kept silent.”

Damn him. He played me perfectly, knowing my curiosity wouldn’t allow me to walk away. I went up a step and stood aside so he could get past me on the narrow metal stairs.

*_*_*_*


THE BACK STAIRS

Available now at All Romance eBooks and other online book sellers.


Fallon Roxbury has a nose for trouble, and the uncanny ability for landing in the middle of it the moment he finds it. While investigating the gruesome murder of a young male prostitute in the red-light district, Fallon gets a whiff of something very strange. Forensics has unidentified hairs. Very unidentified hairs, like nothing in any of the textbooks. Following a tip from a person of interest, Fallon meets Sundown, an apparent hustler who knows a lot more than he will admit.

Getting personally involved with Sundown breaks every rule in the police manual, and in Fallon’s own personal code. Sundown is like a drug, and Fallon can’t stop at just one hit. When Sundown is forced to reveal the truth, Fallon’s world is turned upside down, and he’s left with only two options: check himself in for psychiatric evaluation, or accept a new reality with a strange shift.

Shapeshifters, that is.


KC Kendricks

http://www.kckendricks.com
www.twitter.com/kckendricks




1 comment:

Angelica Dawson said...

Great tension. Thanks for sharing with us.