Thursday, April 14, 2016

L is for Limiting Behaviors

Day 12
April 14, 2016

2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge
It’s All About Time

Welcome! We’re almost to the halfway mark in the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge. That’s amazing. This is the sixth year I’ve participated in the challenge. Yes, it may appear on the surface I’m a glutton for punishment, the truth is I think the A to Z is a lot of fun.

*_*_*_*_*

One of the truest things about human behavior is that we can be our own worst enemy. Trust me - I don’t exclude myself from this. In fact, I’m very good at it. Knowing this gives me an edge for keeping it in check.

What are some limiting behaviors? They’re worse than spending an hour a day on Pinterest.  In no particular order, I define my big four limiting behaviors as negativity, giving in to frustration, being jealous of others, and not believing in myself one hundred percent.

Writers, by the very nature of what we do, spend a lot of time alone. It’s easy to fall into one of these limiting behaviors and not be aware of it. It’s easy to become frustrated with a story, proclaim we’ve written crap, and acknowledge our writing “goddess” would never type such tripe.

Wow. Hit all four points in one fell swoop.

I learned early in my writing career that being compared to any other writer is a head game. It happened, and it didn’t take long for me to realize this person was toying with me. Why? You’d have to ask them. All I know is instead of being flattered, I became insecure. And then I realized that may have been the intention.

Take a moment to define your limiting behaviors. You might have to think about it for awhile (I did), but it’s worth doing. You can’t fix a problem if you don’t know what the problem is.

Do it for yourself.

KC Kendricks
www.twitter.com/kckendricks

No comments: