Friday, April 29, 2016

Y is for Your Time

Day 25
April 29, 2016

Welcome to the final days of the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge! This is the SIXTH year I’ve participated in the challenge - and yes, I will complete it on time. Which is a good thing since I’ve been writing about time. Thanks for stopping by Between the Keys as part of the 2016 A to Z Blogging Challenge. 

*_*_*_*_*

I’ve been blathering about my time for the entire challenge month and if I’ve learned one thing it’s that while I do respect time, I also waste a fair amount of it. Coming down to the next to the last day of the challenge I think some of the blogs were a waste of time this year. Maybe I didn’t spend enough time thinking about setting time as my theme. Maybe if I do the challenge again next year I’ll say to heck with a theme. A theme can really be tiresome.

If it’s true we only have 960 waking minutes a day, then how much time does each writer need to take for himself or herself each day? Writing is a time-intensive pursuit. Too often I forget to step back and take time to relax. It needs to be scheduled and prioritized as part of an uncluttered calendar to be guilt free, but it’s some of the most important time I have.

In January of this year, my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Yeah, we saw it coming but I still hated like hell to hear that word applied to her. Spending more time with her takes time away from other pursuits, such as writing.

So what is my time worth? What is your time worth? Life is certainly a balancing act. One day the job comes first. Another day family. I’m not sure I’ll be up to the task each and every day. But there’s one thing I will remember and that’s to take time for myself when I need it even though I doubt the people around me will like it much.

 KC Kendricks
www.kckendricks.com

www.twitter.com/kckendricks

No comments: